Children are going back to school again and their backpacks are likely to be loaded with heavy books and other school material and once again they run the risk of injuring their back. Here are some tips that could save your child from having back pain from carrying a backpack:
1. Backpack weight should not exceed 10% of your child's weight.
2. Backpack should not hang more than 4 inches below the waistline.
3. Backpack should have wide padded straps to prevent shoulder and neck pain.
4. Your child should be encouraged to wear both shoulder straps to prevent shoulder, back, or neck pain.
5. Backpacks with individualized compartments do a better job in distributing the weight more effectively therefore reducing stress on the child's back.
6. Spend sometime looking up ergonomically correct backpacks.